Welcome to my website!!! I am a professor in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Arizona State University. Hope you can find some fun here.
My current research interest includes: prognostics and diagnostics, fatigue and fracture of engineering materials and structures, probabilistic computational mechanics, risk assessment and management, multi-physics damage modeling and structural durability, multi-scale uncertainty quantification and propagation, imaging-based experimental testing.
Please feel free to contact me, especially if you are interested in my previous work about fatigue, fracture, numerical models and probabilistic methods. However, if you are fatigued by too much work load, I suggest that you should have a vacation or go to see a doctor.
Founding Director, Center for Complex System Safety, ASU-UA-NAU, 2019 – Present
Professor, School for Engineering of Matter, Transport & Energy, Arizona State University, 2017 – present
Associate professor, School for Engineering of Matter, Transport & Energy, Arizona State University, 2012 – 2017
Associate professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Clarkson University, 2012
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Clarkson University, 2007 – 2012
Ph.D. in Civil Engineering Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN May 2006 Dissertation: Stochastic multiaxial fatigue and fracture modeling
M.S. in Structural Engineering Tongji University, Shanghai, China May 2002 Thesis: Fracture behavior of steel beam-column joints under earthquake loading
B.S. in Structural Engineering Tongji University, Shanghai, China July 1999 Thesis: Nonlinear dynamic response of steel frame structures
- Guest Editor, ” Integrated Design and Operation Of Engineering Systems With Predictive Modeling.” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 2021
- Associated Editor, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 2010 – present; responsible for the submission on fatigue, fracture, and structural reliability
- Editorial board of ASCE/ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty Analysis, 2013~
- Guest Editor, “Fatigue Design, Assessment, and Retrofit of Bridges.” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 2018
- Guest Editor for the Special Issue on “Physics-of-Failure based reliability and life prediction for critical components”, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Springer, 2017.
- Editorial board of Journal of Chongqing University (English Edition); 2008~2011.
- Associate Fellow of AIAA, member of ASCE
- Vice Chair, Structures and Material Committee, ASME, 2021 (Elected)
- Student paper Chair of AIAA SciTech – NDA conference, 2015 (Elected)
- Deputy Technical Chair of AIAA SciTech – NDA conference, 2017 (Elected)
- Technical Chair of AIAA SciTech – NDA conference, 2018 (Elected)
- Scientific committee, 2016/2018 ASCE EMI & PMC
- Member of Nondeterministic Approach Technical Committee, AIAA
- Member of Probabilistic Methods committee, ASCE
- Member of advanced materials and structures committee, ASCE
- Member of SEI-ASCE Technical Council on Life-Cycle Performance, Safety, Reliability and Risk of Structural Systems.
- Conference session Chair and co-Chair: MS&T 2010, 49th ~ 51th Structures, Dynamics, and Materials Conference; 10th AIAA Non-Deterministic Approaches Conference; ASCE Engineering Mechanics 2008, ASCE.
- Proposal review for DOE, NSF, UTRC, Houston University
- Technical reviewer of many prestigious journals in engineering mechanics, including Nature Communication, International Journal of Fatigue, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, etc.
- Personnel committee, School of Engineering, Matter, and Transport, ASU, 2019-2022 (Elected)
- Chair, Personnel committee, School of Engineering, Matter, and Transport, ASU, 2020-2021 (Elected)
- University senator, ASU 2016-2021
- ASU task force group for improving the university facility services, 2015
Honors and Awards
• SwRI Best Student Paper Award, at 2019 AIAA SciTech, PhD advisor
• Best Paper (Theory) Award, PHM Society Annual Conference, 2018
• Exemplar faculty, School of Engineering, Arizona State University, 2018
• Harry H. and Lois G. Hilton Student Paper Award at 2016 AIAA SciTech, PhD advisor
• Best paper award, ASCE Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 2011
• AFOSR Young Investigator Award, 2011
• Million Dollar Club – research grant, Clarkson University, 2011
• Albert Merrill Award 2010-2011, Clarkson University CEE
• Excellent Reviewer Award, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 2010
• Teaching Excellence Award – Clarkson CSoE, 2008, 2011
• Best student paper award, 1st prize, School of Engineering, Vanderbilt University, 2006
• Harold Stirling Vanderbilt Graduate Scholarship, Vanderbilt University, 2002-2005
• Jinmen Scholarship, Tongji University, 2002
Engineering materials, structural mechanics and analysis, solid mechanics, probability theory, applied statistics
Fatigue and fracture of engineering materials and structures, probabilistic computational mechanics, risk assessment and management, multi-physics damage modeling and structural durability, multi-scale uncertainty quantification and propagation, structural dynamics and earthquake engineering, stochastic finite element methods
A full version if my CV can be downloaded here.